When someone is hit from behind in a car accident, they can suffer serious neck injuries. One of the most common types of neck injuries is whiplash. Being rear-ended causes the neck to be forced back and forth violently. This causes strain to the soft supporting structures of the neck, leading to pain and stiffness. Seeking care from the Tigard chiropractor whiplash is essential for overcoming this injury.
What Are the Signs of Whiplash?
Most people know when they have whiplash, but it never hurts to get a proper diagnosis from a medical professional. If a person notices they are experiencing any of the following symptoms, they need to seek treatment from the Tigard chiropractor whiplash.
- Neck pain and stiffness are the hallmark symptoms of whiplash.
- Individuals may experience increased pain when they try to move their necks.
- A person may begin experiencing headaches that begin at the base of the skull.
- Individuals can feel pain and tenderness in their upper shoulders, down their arms, and in their backs.
- Surprisingly, whiplash injuries often cause pronounced fatigue.
- Dizziness is also a common symptom of whiplash injuries.
If a person is experiencing any of the above symptoms, they need to seek immediate treatment. Often, the first treatment for whiplash is rest and a neck brace. As the injury starts to heal, a chiropractor can help a person regain their range of motion and overcome the painful symptoms that linger.
Chiropractic Treatments for Whiplash Injuries
In the beginning, gentle stretches and ice are used to bring down the inflammation and pain. Eventually, the treatment will involve spinal manipulation, which seeks to move the cervical vertebrae back into their normal positions so there is no more strain on the supportive structures of the neck and its nerves.
It takes time to fully recover from a whiplash injury. The chiropractor will offer treatment, and the patient will carry out exercises at home to help relieve their discomfort.
Those who have been injured in a car accident and are having neck pain need to seek a proper diagnosis and treatment. A chiropractor can help with whiplash injuries so individuals can get back to their normal routines.